forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1013  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Don & Theresa G
Date:  Wed Feb 10, 1999  7:55 pm
Subject:  Re: Children Learning SignWriting

-----Original Message-----
>Motor skills may be one reason, Jean, but I think there may be other
>reasons added to it.
>
>For example, speech is strangely "non-visual" and maybe it takes longer for
>the brain to develop connecting sounds with language. But watching Mommie
>sign is a "visual experience". So repeating what Mommie says in a signed
>language my be easier because the eyes and the "visual connection" to
>language may develop faster. I have no idea if this true myself! I am just
>sharing an idea and asking questions...

Actually, my understanding it has more to do with physical development and
readiness. Babies are more physically ready to coordinate movements with
their hands at a younger age than they are to coordinate the muscles in
their mouths and throats to produce speech at that age. If you think about
it, it makes sense... babies at 6-7 months can grab stuff, so it's not a far
step to produce the handshape and movements needed to sign, but babies at
6-7 months still need help to burp-- if they can't burp, they surely can't
produce speech!

--Don Grushkin

  Replies Author Date
1024 Re: Children Learning SignWriting Valerie Sutton Thu  2/11/1999
1026 Re: Children Learning SignWriting Joe Martin Thu  2/11/1999

  Message 1013  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index