forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1023  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Feb 11, 1999  3:08 am
Subject:  Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Mark Penner wrote:
>Either way is possible. Still, since only one character is allowed per
>space, it wouldn't be possible to do actual Sign writing, the best we could
>do would be to add SW units to a glossed (in Japanese) text, to cover for
>SL words with no corresponding word in Japanese. Since the cueing for the
>signers of our translation is now done in glosses, this would be a very
>small step toward the freedom to write in SW.
_____________________

Yes...this makes me think that a little program we developed in the 1980's
will be useful for people. It is called SignBank I and SignBank II. Both
are desk accessories for the Macintosh.

We could essentially write the signs in SignWriting in Japanese Sign
Language and store them fully typed in SignBank I and II. Then you could
open any word processing program and simultaneously open SignBank and copy
and paste entire signs into your document. The SignBank dictionary desk
accessory is much more than just a scrapbook - it also sorts in unusual
ways and you can print the dictionary itself out anytime. Typing the signs
themselves is the real work, but you could do that and once the signs are
in SignBank it becomes a dream to work with.

Do you have access to a Macintosh, Mark?

By the way, SignBank I looks up by words and SignBank II has a system for
looking up by Sign-Symbol-Sequence.

I hope to offer SignBank I and II for ASL sometime this Spring...the sign
data base we have in there at the moment is terribly out of date and has to
be retyped, so there is some work involved to get it ready.

Valerie ':-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Replies Author Date
1034 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Fri  2/12/1999
1042 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Mon  2/15/1999
1049 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Wed  2/17/1999
1054 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Wed  2/17/1999
1059 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Thu  2/18/1999
1061 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Thu  2/18/1999
1065 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Fri  2/19/1999
1066 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Fri  2/19/1999
1068 terms Joe Martin Fri  2/19/1999

  Message 1023  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index