forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1066  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Date:  Fri Feb 19, 1999  2:44 am
Subject:  Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program

>
>>>>

> At 07:29 02/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>
> > to us. So this is very positive. May I ask...is this only true for the Japanese version of Microsoft Word, or are these "spaces for characters" available in all versions of the program?
> >
> >
> <<<<
> I don't have English MS Word. My Japanese version does everything the English one does, plus Japanese, so I really have no use for it. All that to say, no, I don't know. But I think I remember hearing that the character set on roman alphabet programs are 8 bit, and have 256 slots total for a font set, whereas Japanese/Chinese are 16 bit, and have ________ (very big number) slots.
>
> Mark
>

I am so excited to know this - maybe if I purchase Microsoft Word for Japanese I could really create a character set that would be useful for people - it would mean that people would have to purchase Microsoft Word for Japanese to use it - but it is software that is already out there and that is great. I will look into this on this end, once I get time.

Thanks so much for this info, Mark, and I hope you can try to enter some SignWriting symbols and complete signs and then tell us if it is useful to you.

Hope your work with translating the Bible into Japanese Sign Language is going well -

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting
mailto:Sutton@SignWriting.org
https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Replies Author Date