forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1091  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Carlos Thompson
Date:  Tue Feb 23, 1999  1:32 pm
Subject:  Re: terms

Joe Martin wrote:

> This is a little off the point, but I don't know who else to ask; can
> anyone tell me the "correct" name in Spanish for [sign language] and for
> [signed spanish]. My question *is related to Sign Writing, ;-), cuz I'm
> making a presentation in my spanish class and that is my topic.
> heklp?

Well. The terms I'm using are "lengua de señas" (señas = se~nas) for sign
language, and "español signado" for signed Spanish.

Not only are there differences in how a concept is called in Spain and
Latinamerica but also between different countries or regions in the
Americas. And politics have a role in it: la lengua de señas colombiana
(LSC) is named that way because, after many other names it was decided best
fit what was meaned. Other names coud have been: lengua/lenguaje/idioma +
signado/de señas/de signos/gestual (para/de sordos).

(aware of the cognates: "idioma" and "lengua" means language, "lenguaje"
means language capability).

--
Carlos Eugenio Thompson Pinzón
ITEC-Telecom, Colombia

https://alpha.telecom-co.net/~cthompso/

  Replies Author Date
1102 SW in Hip Magazine for Deaf Kids Valerie Sutton Tue  3/2/1999
1103 Re: SW in Hip Magazine for Deaf Kids Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  3/2/1999
1106 Re: SW in Hip Magazine for Deaf Kids Robin Gladstone Thu  3/4/1999

  Message 1091  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index