forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1106  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Robin Gladstone
Date:  Thu Mar 4, 1999  7:58 pm
Subject:  Re: SW in Hip Magazine for Deaf Kids

> I just looked at the table of contents on the web, and I'm
> interested in this since I've been observing at Chapparal Elementary this
> semester. Maybe Robin can tell us: aside from this special issue, how
> much of the magazine focuses on hearing aids?
>
> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
> Linguistics Department
> The University of New Mexico

Hello Angus et al,
Typically, the magazine doesn't focus on hearing aids at all. I believe we
did an article on old fashioned hearing aids in 1996, and we have reported
on Pet Hearing Aids, once or twice. We have also done articles on FM
systems and other assistive devices. We do report on the technology usage
and communication methods employed by the people we interview, because kids
are interested. But the kids are much more interested in what those people
have to say about what they have done, or are doing, with their lives

The point of HiP Magazine is to reflect the full spectrum of deaf and
hard-of-hearing experience as seen throught the eyes of the 8 - 14 year olds
who are our target audience. We are appealing to all deaf and
hard-of-hearing kids. Those that wear hearing aids or have cochlear implants
and live their lives orally, as well as those that don't use technology at
all and use ASL exclusively. And, most importantly, the vast majority of
kids who tend to live somewhere between those two choices.

All the best,
Robin Gladstone

  Message 1106  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index