forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1134  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 8, 1999  4:57 pm
Subject:  SignWriting In Email Messages

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Joe Martin wrote:
>This is the first message that has come through on the list for a week or
>so. The e-mail has been "down" statewide. In the meantime I discoved that
>there is a signwriting group set up to enable us to send messages to each
>other in signwriting. This is something that I remember us talking about,
>but I didn't realize it had already been done!! :-) Maybe other people are
>like me and didn't know this, so now I am letting them know, too. I have
>not yet quite figured out how it works, though. I'm hoping Valerie or
>Paul can coach us. (like they don't have enough work to do as it is :-/
____________________________

April 8, 1999

Hi Joe and Everyone -
There have not been many messages posted to the SignWriting List lately, so
that may be one reason why you did not receive messages :-)

I have not been online much because of eight weeks of on-going illness.
When I can work, my time is spent on the day-to-day tasks of running an
organization, like paying the bills, and writing small grants.
Unfortuantely, chatting online has had to take last priority....and it has
been gnawing at me. I miss chatting with all of you!

When I post something new on the web, that stimulates conversations on the
SignWriting List. But I have not been able to do web design since early
February. Hopefully that will change soon!!

In regards to sending SignWriting messages through email - that has been
possible all along. There is just one "catch". Not everyone's computers are
the same. I know...it seems hard to believe, doesn't it? But Paul Cowley,
the owner of the SignWriting List, explained to me that we cannot send
SignWriting messages to each other on the SignWriting List, because some
people, who have older computers, will have terrible technical problems on
their computers because of it. So Paul requested that we create a "separate
list" only for those people who have the computer capability to accept
SignWriting inside email.

So Paul did set up a "SW Share-Files" list, that is a separate list from
the SW List. But then Paul became too busy to "manage the new list"
himself, and you can see that I am pretty busy too. So the idea was not
promoted for that reason.

The "SW Share-Files List" requires three things:

1. You know how to create .GIF files.
2. You know how to attach .GIF files to an email message.
3. You know how to "set your email software" to "place" attached files
"inside an email message".

Those people who are skilled at all three, could join the "SW Share-Files
List".

So if you know how to do all three things, write to me privately and we can
talk more about it :-)

Thanks for your interest -

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1135 Re: SignWriting In Email Messages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Thu  4/8/1999
1136 Re: SignWriting In Email Messages Valerie Sutton Thu  4/8/1999

  Message 1134  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index