forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1136  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Apr 8, 1999  7:16 pm
Subject:  Re: SignWriting In Email Messages

>On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>
>> The "SW Share-Files List" requires three things:
>>
>> 1. You know how to create .GIF files.
>
> Valerie, we could share the .SGN files that way as well, right?
>It might not be as easy to view with one of the "fancy" (but overwrought)
>mailers, but we could save the .SGN files and open them with SignWriter,
>couldn't we? I seem to remember doing that with a message about Santa
>Claus that someone posted.
>
>--
> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
> Linguistics Department
> The University of New Mexico

_________________________

Hi Angus!
Nice to hear from you. Oh yes...of course we can always "attach .SGN files"
to email messages, which is most definitely the easiest for those who use
SignWriter and know how to open SignWriter. I prefer that myself. I am glad
to know you did that too.

The only reason that .GIF files got into the scenario, was because we were
trying to "paste" the visual SW symbols into the limited format of email -
I know you already know the issues well.

I was disappointed that Paul felt we should not send attached files to the
SignWriting List. I had originally planned to do that, but apparently
attached files of any kind create problems for Paul technically on his end
of things, so we need to do it on another list. You are correct that the
"fancy but overwrought mailers" have become an increasing problem for
people. And that is exactly why Paul created this new "SW ShareFiles List",
and it is a shame that we have not been using it all this time. I have
instructions for the ShareFiles List - but never tried them! Would you like
to try?

It would mean that a few people who know SignWriter, (and me too of course)
will try to join the ShareFiles list, and see if we can get it to work. And
then we can inform everyone on the SignWriting List.

Of course, we can also send files to each other privately, from one email
address to the other. But the ShareFiles List would give us a public place
to share files together.

As you all may remember, last year at this time, the SignWriting List was
not on LISTSERVE. I had not met Paul Cowley yet, and I was sending messages
through my private list of names. Then on May 9th, 1998, we switched over
to LISTSERVE. It has been good in the sense that no one has to go through
me. So public lists have their benefits!

So if there is someone willing to experiment, write to me privately, and I
will send you the ShareFiles List instructions - and we can take it from
there!

Thanks for writing -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1136  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index