forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1139  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Apr 9, 1999  8:40 pm
Subject:  SignWriting In France

April 9, 1999

Hello SW List!
As you know, SignWriting is used in different countries. One country,
France, had a small group of interested educators back in the 1980's, and
then I never heard from them again. I am pretty certain that project
died...their school taught oralism, and any sign language instruction was
not encouraged.

But recently, a teacher named Mary Laurent, from a school for the Deaf
called "Lycée des Arènes" in Toulouse, France, has expressed interest in
experimenting with SignWriting. We do not yet have any materials written in
French Sign Language, so Mary's deaf students will have to "apply the
SignWriting symbols" to write French Sign Language. It will be interesting
to see what happens. I will be sending them some materials soon. I hope in
time Mary will report to our List about their experiences.

I will keep you posted as to what happens in France -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1139  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index