forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1198  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue May 4, 1999  3:19 am
Subject:  Re: introduction

> I've taken the collaborative approach to teaching/learning SignWriting.
>I too have seen very young Deaf students and even the very 'cool' middle
>school Deaf and Hard of Hearing students 'take to' SW very quickly. Some
>'read' it without any hesitation....others stare awhile...look at their
>hands...then sign what they see....others give it a 'blanch of a
>look-see' shrug their shoulders and say either...'don't know', 'what's
>that?', 'that's weird!' These 'off the cuff' responses continue to
>motivate me to keep 'learning' SW and helps me maintain my conviction
>that Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids...know more about the language they
>use for everyday communication than we have yet to acknowledge.

>Cecilia Flood
>Counselor/Teacher f/t DHH
>UNM and APS
_____________________________

What a terrific report, Cecilia! I think the collaborative approach you are
taking with your students sounds excellent. Even the kids who say "that's
weird" probably can read more than they admit!

For those interested in reading about Cecilia's research and teaching
project, here are the web pages to visit:

RESEARCH FORUM
SignWriting in the Albuquerque Public Schools
https://www.SignWriting.org/rese009.html

TEACHER'S FORUM
Albuquerque Public Schools
Contact Teacher: Cecilia Flood

https://www.SignWriting.org/teach012.html

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1198  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index