forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Kristine Roald
Date:  Wed May 5, 1999  10:48 am
Subject:  Re: Questions About SW

On Tue, 4 May 1999 19:55:40 -0700
Valerie sent, on behalf of someone else:
Subject: Questions About SW

>snip<
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

another person asks....

"I am specifically looking for schools that offers a program that offers
separate formal instruction in ASL and English and that also offers
translation instruction from ASL to written English, and written English
to ASL. Do you know of a school that offers such a program for deaf students?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>snip<

Can anyone help answer some of those questions? Like the second one - I
have no idea what to tell her or where to refer her....

Thanks for your help everyone -

My contritbution:

Well, as for Sign Language and National Language taught as separate
subjects, with translations between them, Sweden and Norway are
doing this throughout their school system. Sweden has for years,
Norway only started in 1997.

But in Norway, in upper secondary, we have been teaching Norwegian
Sign Language as a separate subject since the late 1980s, and with
some Sign Writing as part of the curriculum, for deaf students.

My best to you all,

Ingvild

Ingvild Kristine Roald
Institutt for Praktisk Pedagogikk
Universitetet i Bergen
N-5020 BERGEN
Norway

e-mail:

UNIV: SCHOOL: PRIVATE:
tel: +47 55 58 47 98 +47 55 11 86 00 +47 55 28 34 34
fax: +47 55 58 48 80 +47 55 11 86 01

  Replies Author Date
1210 Re: Questions About SW John Hill Wed  5/5/1999
1212 Re: Questions About SW Valerie Sutton Wed  5/5/1999
1211 Re: Questions About SW Valerie Sutton Wed  5/5/1999

  Message 1209  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index