forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun May 9, 1999  12:20 am
Subject:  Re: Questions Learn To Read ASL

Deborah Holden wrote:

>Dear Valerie,
> Thank you for your great response. It was very helpful. It's nice to
>know
>if our ASL is not prefect, it is OK. You said "if they read enough, in
>time it
>will sink in" I was thinking the same thing. Also I went to the web page, and
>your explanation of "What quote" helped a lot. I was wondering what that
>meant. I just told the students that "Quote" means title. Thanks again
>for all
>your help.
>Deborah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May 8, 1999

Hi Deborah and Everyone -
Thanks for these thoughts...and they stimulated more thoughts! I know a lot
of you are new to the SignWriting List, and you may not know all the
details behind the development of SignWriting.

For example, SignWriting was not developed to write ASL - it was developed
to write any signed language because it is based on writing body movement
in general. The first signed language recorded in SignWriting was Danish
Sign Language, not ASL. But the books you will be receiving through the SW
Literacy Project are in ASL - that is true.

And we are not standing in judgement of someone else's ASL - not at all!
My goodness - that is the last thing I would do! I am not a teacher of ASL,
nor am I an interpreter. I am a hearing person, and although I can
communicate with my Deaf friends, my signing is far from perfect.

That is why I feel it is so important that the "Learn To Read ASL" lessons
on the web are "transcribed from an ASL video". In other words, it is
Darline Clark-Gunsuals who signed the ASL and who teaches ASL. I was just
the "scribe"....

So when I explained what I thought "What quote" meant - that was based on
what I personally have witnessed through transcribing the stories -so that
was just the "scribe" talking!

I bet "real" ASL teachers could explain it better than I could!

My "real job" is to teach you the SignWriting symbols themselves. Then your
Deaf students can "apply" those symbols as they choose.

Of course, I hope that you and your students will learn some ASL through
Darline's beautiful signing...she did such a beautiful job on the video. I
love watching her sign the stories, and I know your students will too :-)

....so please know that I am not an ASL expert myself...

Just wanted to share some of these thoughts with you....

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1226  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index