forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1300  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon May 17, 1999  2:51 pm
Subject:  Re: Color Coding SW Symbols

May 17, 1999

Hi Wayne -
Thanks for the message and the suggestions below. Giving typists the choice
of coloring individual SW symbols, or whole signs, or even whole sentences,
can definitely be programmed into SignWriter 5.0, and the flexibility will
be wonderful for teachers and linguists alike. The programming simply takes
money and time. I have made a note of your suggestions, to show the new
programmer who will be working with me this summer. I am still looking for
a programmer though :-)

Thanks once again for all your input!

Valerie

>Wayne Smith writes:
> This brings me to the following: I would suggest that in the next
>version of the SignWriting program (5.0 is it?) that we have the option of
>typing signs in one of three ways: (1) solid black (for general use), (2)
>color coded according to what Valerie has proposed by different articulators
>(to point out the function of the hands vs. the head, etc.), or (3) by the
>whole sign (to point out different functions of signs in sentences, much as
>is done in the Montessori programs). That way we all get what we want out
>of SW. I would think that the color coding by sign articulators (Valerie's
>idea) would have to be pre-programmed into the dictionary in order to same
>typing time for those who wanted to use them. For those working in
>all-black mode, they would show up all black anyway. For those working in
>color mode, they would show up coded by articulators, and for those who
>wished to code entire signs or parts of sentences, they could choose which
>signs and which colors from a drop-down menu.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1300  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index