forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1342  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Don & Theresa G
Date:  Tue May 25, 1999  2:34 pm
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

-----Original Message-----

> 7. Might it be possible for columns to print from right to left
instead
>of left to right? This might seem strange to many, but it's the natural
way
>of writing Chinese characters when "in column mode" (as it were). When
>Chinese people look at things written in columns, their eyes naturally
start
>reading at the top right side, and SW starts on the on the other ("the
>wrong") side.

Wayne:

This is not necessarily a problem. I'm hardly a fluent reader of Hebrew,
but my training from Hebrew school has rubbed off enough that when I do
attempt to decipher Hebrew, I automatically start on the right side, even
though I'm a native (and extremely fluent) reader of English, where I always
start on the left side. I suspect that Chinese SW readers, once taught that
they have to switch scanning to the "wrong" side, will start automatically
doing so and it will become second nature for them. They might think it
"weird" at first (like I did with Hebrew) but later they will think nothing
of it for this particular writing system.

--Donald Grushkin

  Replies Author Date
1344 Re: New SignWriter Features? Angus B. Grieve-Smith Tue  5/25/1999
1370 Re: New SignWriter Features? Valerie Sutton Tue  6/1/1999
1369 Re: New SignWriter Features? Valerie Sutton Tue  6/1/1999

  Message 1342  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index