forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1349  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Judy A. Kegl"
Date:  Thu Apr 7, 1904  1:12 pm
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

Wayne,

You might recall how we handle these non-manual symbols in Nicaragua:

1) As to the cheek puffed on one side, SW already has a character for that.
When you select the CHEEKAS PUFFED symbol, you can alter it to one cheek
only by hitting the N key, and you can flip-flop from left tgo right cheek
with the Comma key.

2) For teeth chomping, we use a symbol that can be found first by selecting
the dash key (right of the zero) and then by selecting the F-key option.
This symbol is place to one side of the GRITTING-TEETH symbol and signifies
one chomp. Repeating this symbol side by side, with on symbol upside down,
indicates multiple chompings.

___ ___
| | | | |
| ONE CHOMP | | MULTIPLE CHOMPS
| | |__|

3) For the wagging tongue, we show the tongue extended symbol with the
back-and-forth arrow to the side. As you may recall, Valerie doesn't use a
single stemmed, 2-pointer arrow for back-and-forth, but uses multiple
arrows. However, we use a short stem arrow with a pointer at either end to
achieve the end you seek. Type this by superimposing a left pointing arrow
on top of a right pointing arrow.

-- James Shepard-Kegl

--Judy Kegl
Linguistics Program
University of Southern Maine
96 Falmouth Street
Portland, ME 04104-9300

Phone: 207-780-4531
Fax: 207-780-5561
e-mail: ,

----------
>From: "Wayne H. Smith"
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: New SignWriter Features?
>Date: Tue, May 25, 1999, 3:30 PM
>

> Valerie and everybody -
>
> Just thought of a few more more needed non-manual symbols:
>
> 1. cheeks puffed on one side only (needed for TSL PINK, FALSE,
> ONE-MONTH, and a few more)
> 2. mouth open, tongue wagging from side to side (needed for TSL
> NOT-HAVE)
> 3. mouth open, teeth biting down once (needed for TSL FINISH)
>
> Also, how does one indicate signs that are made on the back of the
> head, e.g. TSL MANCHU, HIGH-BLOOD-PRESSURE?
>
> Finally (until I think of something else), TSL namesigns are
> interesting in that many of them are marked for gender, much as in Spanish:
> Mario, Maria, Patricio, Patricia, etc. For men's namesigns, the thumb
> (meaning "male") is extended, and for women's namesigns, the pinky (meaning
> "female") is extended. This often means that a whole set of handshape
> symbols might be needed just to handle this phenomenon. Is there an easy
> way that we can just generate the needed handshapes, or will I have to use
> the old way of piecing handshape symbols together using bits and pieces
> under the - key?
>
> Will appreciate any feedback and suggestions.
>
> Love,
> - Wayne

  Replies Author Date
1398 Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Sun  6/6/1999
1406 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Greg Noel Mon  6/7/1999
1407 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Mon  6/7/1999
1409 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Greg Noel Tue  6/8/1999
1411 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Tue  6/8/1999
1419 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Angus Grieve-Smith Tue  6/8/1999
1424 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Tue  6/8/1999
1508 Writing Teeth Biting Valerie Sutton Wed  6/23/1999

  Message 1349  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index