forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1353  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 27, 1999  2:45 am
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

Wayne Smith wrote:
> 2. I've found about 7-8 handshapes in TSL which I don't see among the
>preset handshapes. I've been able to create about 4-5 of them by playing
>around with preexisting handshapes and adding fingers using the little marks
>on the - key. I'll send those later, with photographs of each one.

There is no problem with new handshapes. I just need to be informed. I am
the person who adds the new symbols to SignWriter 5.0, so send them to me
and I will be happy to add them. Photos are the best, since they usually
are the clearest, but life-like illustrations are good too. And thanks,
Wayne, for sending me photos - they are great!

I also noticed a new handshape in Colombian Sign Language we do not have.
If any other countries want to send me your list, please do!

> 3. TSL has a frequently used movement which SW lacks a symbol for: a
>sequential closing of the fingers over the thumb from the knuckle, beginning
>with the index finger.

We do have this symbol, Wayne, and people from Brazil have been soooooo
patient with me. I promised to post instruction on the symbol long ago, and
then I got too busy! I am sorry for that, of course, but it will happen one
of these days. And you will be able to "construct it" with a combination of
other symbols on the SignWriter 4.3 keyboard. Then in SignWriter 5.0, it
will become a "symbol in its own right".

I will be presenting both a simplified version of sequential finger
movements used in Spain, and a more detailed version that gives information
on which finger starts the movement etc. I will announce the posting when
it is ready.

> 4. TSL also has lots of "character signs" which are either wholly or
>partially based on the shape of a particular Chinese character. Is there a
>way to show which of several movement segments goes first, which comes next,
>etc.?

Yes. We have written sequential movement like that in several different
ways. But you never know...you may be talking about something totally
different than I am, since I have never seen Taiwanese Sign Language. Would
it be possible to send me privately a "paragraph" explaining exactly what
happens in one of the signs, so I can really think about it. Then I can
post a little explanation on the web with a diagram to see what you think.

> 5. I mentioned earlier about having the option of printing the signs in
>color according to Valerie's delineation by part of the sign, by whole
>signs, or in black and white, each used for different purposes: teaching
>children, emphasis, etc.

Yes. Thanks for that. I will be discussing the color ideas with our
programmer on Friday.

More soon again....

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1353  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index