forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1371  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Jun 1, 1999  2:33 pm
Subject:  Re: New SignWriter Features?

Wayne Smith wrote:
> 8. Obviously a major need for SW here in Taiwan would be the necessity
>of giving signs name in Chinese characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 1, 1999

Hi Wayne -
While I am writing this message, there are three baby wild rabbits outside
my window eating weeds! I live on a canyon, about three miles from the
ocean - the wildlife is wonderful!

In regards to typing Chinese and Japanese - of course I know that people in
Taiwan, China and Japan want to type Chinese or Japanese along with
SignWriting. That is understood.

The only problem is technology. Developing methods for typing Chinese and
Japanese has been a great deal of work for hundreds of programmers over
decades.

The 9 European spoken languages already supported in SignWriter 4.3 are
easier because they use the Roman alphabet. When it comes to other scripts,
including Arabic, Chinese and Japanese, we will have to "hook into" other
existing software for those writing systems. That is only practical.

So it is just a matter of time. I doubt if we can do this in our first beta
test version of SignWriter 5.0. I will feel lucky if we just have a working
program for the 9 European languages by the Fall - just that alone is a
huge job. At the moment, SignWriter 5.0 can't even print - so the
programmer has a big job ahead.

But in time it will happen - because I want it to! That means that later
there will be a SignWriter 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 etc...it will slowly evolve as
time and funding permits.

Just want you to know that I am with you in spirit -

Thanks for the great input -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1371  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index