forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1398  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jun 6, 1999  1:41 am
Subject:  Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus

June 5, 1999

Dear SignWriting List:
I am writing to ask your advice about the new SignWriter 5.0 design.

As you know, for quite some time I have been planning to give each country
a choice of:

Menus in Signs
Menus in Words
Menus in Signs and Words

We have already accomplished this. I can choose ASL Menus or English Menus,
while in the "USA".

The positive side to this is that we show equal respect for all languages,
and when a person chooses Menus in Signs, they learn to read SignWriting
and ASL signs as they use the program.

The negative side is that not all signed languages have equivalent signs
for every Menu word (including ASL, which oftentimes uses fingerspelling
for such terms). This means that not all countries will be able to provide
me with the signs from their country to create the Menus in Signs - or at
least - it will take some time before the terminology is decided upon by
the Deaf Community in that country. So we will continually be updating the
Menus, which can be extra work and will create several "new versions of the
program".

Meanwhile, there is a totally different way to design the program....use
international icons for File, Edit, Print etc, forgetting all languages -
no words - no signs - just international icons. We could have the picture
of a printer, to represent Print, a picture of a file folder, to represent
File, and a picture of a Scissors and Pencil to represent Edit. Instead of
listing the names of countries, we could display the flag for each country.
Using international icons would simplify the work on my end, and it would
save others the trouble of having to translate a bunch of computer
terminology into signs, typing them in SignWriting, and then sending them
to me to enter into the program. Another benefit....we would have fewer
Menus up at the top of the screen because there would not be as many
choices for the user to make.

I know it probably sounds like I want the international icons, but actually
I am not sure what is best. I am happy to do the Menus in Signs and Words
if you feel that it is important.

I remember how impressed I was with Daniela's SignDic design. Remember
that? It is on this page:

https://www.SignWriting.org/soft003.html

You will notice that Daniela chose international icons - I would create
totally different ones of course, but I think Daniela's design is charming.

On the other hand, the Menus in Signs and Words encourages learning
SignWriting and languages. So maybe it is a shame to lose that benefit.

I definitely want to know your opinions. What would you prefer?

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1406 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Greg Noel Mon  6/7/1999
1407 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Mon  6/7/1999
1409 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Greg Noel Tue  6/8/1999
1411 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Tue  6/8/1999
1419 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Angus Grieve-Smith Tue  6/8/1999
1424 Re: Need Your Advice on SignWriter Menus Valerie Sutton Tue  6/8/1999

  Message 1398  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index