forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1413  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Tue Jun 8, 1999  1:35 am
Subject:  Re: Another use for SW

Funny you mention that. At a recent meeting of the Suncoast chapter of the
Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA), we had a guest speaker from
baseball. Someone asked him about the signs the coaches use. The speaker
replied that a lot of the gesturing is meant to keep someone from figuring out
what they are saying rather than the actual message. They touch certain things
they are wearing - a touch to the belt buckle may have a meaning. There is one
signal that means "forget everything I just said." It's meant to keep the
opposition guessing. In contrast, Sign Language isn't specific to items (there
are exceptions - "volunteer" comes to mind). We don't use items as part of our
signs.

Bill Reese