forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1432  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Akehurst
Date:  Wed Jun 9, 1999  1:52 pm
Subject:  SWPL - Advanced Materials

Hi Valerie! Even though our group is still fairly scattered (and shall be
for the remainder of the summer...) I wanted to write and tell you how we
were doing, to date, with the advanced SW materials. The verdict is in
and... everybody loves them!

The colours are really helping with their retention of the written signs in
their entirety and it's also easier to discuss which areas are causing
problems ('the blue', 'the green' etc!). That's great.

We're still having a 'thing' (amongst the adults) with facial expressions
(the children are great at drawing the faces) and, to be honest, I'm
beginning to believe that - for some - having facial expressions in or
leaving them out may be akin to the way some people use (or don't use!)
punctuation in written English. Some are more precise in their writing and
others just put in enough (in their opinion) to get the message across.
Personalities prevail, I guess.

The children have been able (for the most part) to read the story with ease
(filling in the bits they didn't understand by continuing on and then
'figuring out' what the previous parts had been - as with learning to read
English as we have discussed on this list...) and they did not find it
difficult to have the SW smaller as their comprehension increases. The
youngest ones still write really big but that's perfectly normal, of course.
It's just been fascinating to watch this all unfold.

Anyway, like I said, I'll write again when I've gathered more data. Just
had to let you know these bits anyway.

Take care, all the best,

Kathy Akehurst
Private Tutor
Ontario, Canada

  Replies Author Date
1433 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Valerie Sutton Wed  6/9/1999
1436 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Valerie Sutton Wed  6/9/1999
1438 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Valerie Sutton Wed  6/9/1999
1439 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Valerie Sutton Wed  6/9/1999
1442 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Bill Reese Thu  6/10/1999
1490 Translating Menus into Signs Valerie Sutton Fri  6/18/1999
1499 International Keystrokes Valerie Sutton Mon  6/21/1999
1475 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Wanda Spiker Wed  6/16/1999
1476 Re: SWPL - Advanced Materials Valerie Sutton Wed  6/16/1999

  Message 1432  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index