|SignWriting List Forum|
Valerie Sutton |
Date: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:52 pm
Subject: IMPORTANT MESSAGE :-)
June 10, 1999
Dear SignWriting List...
Would you like your signed language represented in SignWriter 5.0?
If the answer is YES, then I will be happy to create Menus in your signed
language. Here is what you need to do:
1. Translate the terms below into your signed language. It would be best to
meet with native signers to decide on the signs, but even if you do not
have signs for all of these terms, some signs are better than none.
2. Type the signs in a SignWriter 4.3 file, with the English word
equivalent next to each sign, so that I know what each sign means. If your
spoken language is not English, but it uses the Roman Alphabet, then type
the word in your spoken language next to the sign too. Type these terms in
a document file. This is a .SGN file.
3. Then send me the .SGN file, either as an attached file with an email
message, or on a floppy disk through postal mail.
4. When I receive the file, I will then enter those signs into SignWriter
5.0. When you start using SignWriter 5.0, you will be able to switch your
Menus over to your signed language.
5. If new signs develop over time, there will be no problem to make
changes. You can inform me, and send me a new file, and I will make the
changes you request.
6. In regards to ASL...although I already have one ASL version, I welcome
other people's ASL translations. It will take time for us to decide what
signs are best, so this is an experiment. Feel free to send me your ASL
So here is the List of terms that need to be translated:
Quit or Exit
Down In Columns (writing vertically)
Left to Right
Right to Left
Across the Page (writing horizontally)
Menus in Icons
Menus in Signs
Menus in Words
Menus in Signs & Words
Menus in Icons & Words
Menus in Signs & Icons
Menus in Color
Lessons In SignWriting
Lessons In SignWriter
The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA