forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1451  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James Shepard-Kegl
Date:  Fri Jun 11, 1999  9:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Computer Terms In Signed Languages

Nicaraguan Sign Language uses no fingerspelling that I am aware of.
Anyway, we would find SW menus most helpful, except that we probably need
signs for the spanish/english/ASL equivalents. Since we can't read the
spanish anyway, spelling out the menu item would be of no use to us. On
the other hand, the sign language (like all signed and spoken languages) is
quite dynamic -- once the need for a lexical item arises, one will appear
on the scene soon enough.

Well, you have your hands full (a Deaf pun) with the ASL, but one day I'll
devote a class to the program, and eventually signs will appear.

-- James

----------
> From: Valerie Sutton
> To: SignWriting List
> Subject: Computer Terms In Signed Languages
> Date: jueves 10 de junio de 1999 12:00
>
> Everyone -
> I just wanted to mention that I know how hard it might be to find signs
for
> computer terms in some signed languages. Not every signed language has
> computer vocabulary developed. If that is the case in your country, that
is
> OK. We can still have the spoken language of your country represented in
> the Menus, or you will be able to navigate through SignWriter with the
> International Icons.
>
> And then there is the issue of fingerspelling computer terms - in the USA
> lot of the terms are fingerspelled, but I chose actual signs, knowing
full
> well I probably will be criticized. On the other hand, no other computer
> program (that I know of), offers menus written in signed languages, so I
> know we are pioneering new ground. In a few days I will post the ASL
Menus
> that I have at the moment, and maybe you can give me some advice...
>
> Valerie :-)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Valerie Sutton
>
> SignWriting
>
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
> Center For Sutton Movement Writing
> an educational nonprofit organization
> Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1452 Re: Computer Terms In Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Fri  6/11/1999
1453 Re: Computer Terms In Signed Languages Judy A. Kegl Fri  6/11/1999
1460 Computer Terms In Spoken Languages Valerie Sutton Sat  6/12/1999
1465 Re: Computer Terms In Spoken Languages Valerie Sutton Tue  6/15/1999
1478 Re: Computer Terms In Spoken Languages Valerie Sutton Thu  6/17/1999

  Message 1451  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index