forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1474  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Jun 16, 1999  6:49 pm
Subject:  Re: ASL Video Transcriptions

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, James Shepard-Kegl wrote:
>So, I concur that SW adaptations should be done by natively fluent Deaf
>signers, that the process should be videotaped, and that the audience
>should be Deaf to minimize shifting the adaptation away from ASL and toward
>PSE, etc. But, prose styles need to be developed, as well. And training
>needs to be undertaken in storywriting vs. storytelling skills.
>-- James Shepard-Kegl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh yes, James, I agree completely! That is the very reason why we are doing
the videos, and then transcribing them into SignWriting. We need to develop
ways of writing prose in ASL in SignWriting, and we lack the skills right
now. The videos seem to help with that process.

The problem is...when we write directly in ASL...without viewing any
videos....the writing doesn't always come out in ASL. Without the writer
realizing it, they oftentimes shift into PSE or Signed English...leaving
out facial expressions and other details that do not exist in spoken
languages.

So our goal is to develop the prose styles, so the videos will no longer be
necessary.

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1474  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index