forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1491  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jun 19, 1999  2:39 am
Subject:  Typing Left-Handed SignWriting

On Thu, 27 May 1999 Wayne Smith wrote:
>Could there be a
>Ctrl-Something key that will completely reverse a given sign or (better yet)
>a given group of signs or even a complete document so that it would reflect
>how a left-handed signer might produce the signs?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 18, 1999

What an interesting suggestion :-)

Actually, to program an "automatic switch", in SignWriter 5.0, from
right-handed signs to left-handed signs, might be expensive and
time-consuming to program...and I don't even know if the feature would be
that useful. We can always re-type the left-handed version the slow way if
we need to.

I would be worried that the "automatic switch" from right to left would not
always leave you with an accurate document. For example, the hands would
flop, but the facial expressions would not...or would they? So...it might
open up programming problems and some linguistic problems as well.

Meanwhile, there are not that many left-handed documents, since there are
not that many left-handed signers :-)

These were my thoughts in regards to this...what are some of yours?

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1491  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index