forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1505  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Tue Jun 22, 1999  12:55 am
Subject:  Re: Phonemic way of writing

Joe,

Many years ago, when drafting used to be done with ink on mylar, the best
technique for inking a sheet was top left to bottom right. It provided time
for the ink to dry and kept the work flowing smoothly. Even in inking
lettering, the recommended strokes were from top left to bottom right.

Bill

Joe Martin wrote:

> Wayne (and anybody else)
>
> since I am used to writing Japanese/Chinese characters, I have found this,
> and I wondered if others do too.;;;that it is much easier to follow the
> stroke order of chinese when writing SignWriting.
>
> For those not used to it, the chinese stroke order is top left to lower
> right (or seattle to miami, as I think of it :-)
>
> Fer instance, on the website, "Signwriting by hand", page 7 it shows how
> to draw a B-handshape. Using the numbers shown, I would draw it in the
> order 3 4 2 5 1. Anything else comes out all blocky and ugly for me. On
> page 8 the website shows a half-shaded B-hand;I write it 4 5 3 1 6 2, and
> do the shading between the 6 and 2.
>
> For me, this makes them come out much better, and it is easy to write
> the floor plane-- with the space in it. (I find the "horizontal stroke"
> way kind of hard to manage) So I wonder if other people experience this
> also.
> Joe Martin, Plain Old Ordinary Student
> Top Left Corner USA

  Replies Author Date
1516 Re: Phonemic way of writing Valerie Sutton Thu  6/24/1999

  Message 1505  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index