forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1523  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 25, 1999  1:23 pm
Subject:  Re: Typing Left-Handed SignWriting

>Hi, I'm a lefty too. I always forget that I sign different to everyone
>else. Smile. Of course, if I ever see myself signing I think "Who can
>understand that???" I don't know How I will do SignWriting but I can
>read it fine so I may just write it righty. Maybe once I start using it
>I will automatically write it lefty. Who knows. Time will surely tell.
>Deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Deb -
People read left-handed and right-handed SignWriting without noticing that
it is one or the other. It is exactly like communicating directly with
someone while signing - people don't notice if the other person is a lefty
or a righty!

So reading and writing SignWriting is just a mirror of life - it just
records what "happens".

When you start teaching your students SignWriting in September, you will
notice that everyone can read the right-handed documents, even if they are
left-handed. But you and your left-handed students will write your own
notes as you sign them - left-handed :-)

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1523  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index