forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1524  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Jun 25, 1999  1:35 pm
Subject:  Re: ASL Video Translations

>>>Deaf Missions (Christan Church)
>
>I know about these people and I have seen one of their first videos, it was
>signed by Lou Fant, a name familiar to some of you here. They are very
>good, they have a team system with Bible scholars translating from the
>ORIGINAL Hebrew and Greek texts; they're Lutheran I think, if memory hasn't
>failed me, but the work is totally nonsectarian Christian. They've even had
>Jewish translators working on some of the Hebrew-to-ASL translations. I
>would recommend them unhesitatingly for their accuracy and level of
>competence.
>Therese Shellabarger -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent information and a good recommendation. Thank you, Therese. Years
ago, in the 1980's, I did have brief contact with them, about writing their
work in ASL in SignWriting.

There was some interest, but they felt the job was overwhelming and they
chose to continue videotaping.

I think that was the right decision, because at that time we did not have a
computer program for typing SignWriting, and inking the Bible with ink pens
may be historic, but it is a horrible amount of work!

And even though we have a good MS-DOS program right now, I think when
SignWriter 5.0 really is available, it will be a better time to start the
true publishing of the written ASL Bible. We need some of the modern
features of a modern computer program to make the job "less overwhelming".

And I admire Ron Dettloff for all his very hard work! You are not
forgotten, Ron. It will all come together someday :-)

I am working full-time on SignWriter 5.0 right now. I design all the
symbols, fonts, keyboards and menus. I am almost done with the Menus in ASL
and will post a picture of it on the web as soon as I can.

I am also editing a wonderful Brazilian Sign Language dictionary in
SignWriting.

And this summer there will be work on articles comparing other notation
systems with SignWriting.

So there is a bright future ahead -

Many blessings -

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1524  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index