forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1594  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Eduardo Gheller Mörschbächer
Date:  Fri Jul 30, 1999  2:45 pm
Subject:  Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages

Dear Valerie...

Well, I think that the acronymous in three letters may cut off some
names of international signed names as LIBRAS and AUSLAN and most of them
may be missunderstood. At least, 8 letters will be wellcome.

About LIBRAS, here have other researchers that support other name for
our signed language called as LSB (Língua de Sinais Brasileira/Brazilian
Signed Language). LIBRAS is "Língua Brasileira de Sinais", slightly
different from LSB. The argue is that we haven't the Brazilian Language
(Língua Brasileira), but the Portuguese Language (Língua Portuguesa) as an
official spoken language. And so, the signed language should be called as
LSB and not LIBRAS. But, LIBRAS sounds appealing.

To stretch into 3 letters, I would rather be LSB than LBR.

Eduardo Gheller Mörschbächer