forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1618  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Mon Aug 2, 1999  7:27 pm
Subject:  ISO Should Include Signed Languages

>For my 2 cents worth, if you are only using the codes internally, why
>not just use the codes that the SIL ethnologue is already using? If
>you do that, you might even be able to set something up in the future
>that links with the Ethnologue descriptions of the languages, users,
>etc. It also prevents from having to re-invent the wheel. I'm sure
>it would be very easy to develop a "dictionary" of sorts that stored
>the local acronym, and international acronyms that would be used
>by the average person. Just a thought.
>
>Stuart Thiessen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Stuart -
Thanks for this suggestion.

I would like to encourage the ISO to set a standard on this subject.

Acronyms for signed languages should be included in their listing of the
world's languages, published by the ISO:

Language Acronyms Standards ISO 639:1988:
https://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/https/related/iso639.txt

This will create an international standard for programmers to refer
to...java programmers use the ISO listings all the time, to refer to spoken
languages. But nothing is said about signed languages - from a programmer's
point of view, it looks like they don't exist.

And of course I think it is wonderful that the SIL list exists - but the
acronyms are so different than what is really used - for example - they
list Nicaraguan Sign Language as NCS...does anyone use NCS for Nicaraguan
Sign Language? I doubt it....

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1618  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index