forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1642  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Kristine Roald
Date:  Sun Aug 8, 1999  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: proper names

On Aug 6, 1999, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:

> The point I'm trying to make is that we should get away from this
> one-to-one mapping between spoken and signed languages. Why do the
> initials for a signed language used in Brazil have to be in Portuguese,
> and those for a signed language used in Belgium have to be in French, or
> Flemish?

I agree with that, if we are talking of how we name these signed
langueges in other countries spoken language. Norwegian Sigm LAnguage
is known in English by that name, and by the acronym NSL, but in
Norwegian spoken language it it known as Norsk Tegnsprog, with the
acronym NTS. I'm sure that if linguists using French or Irish or any
other language would call our sign language by their own acronym, for
their purpouse.

> Roman-based sign writing systems have the advantage that you can
> have initials in the signed language, not in some spoken language.

This I do not understand. Are you suggesting that using the
fingerspelled version of NSL or NTS would make it any more real sign
language? Because the name of NSL in the language itsel, is a *sign*,
not something fingerspelled. So I cannot see the advantage of the
Roman-based sign writing systems. Initials are based on spoken
languages, not on the signed ones.

And if this acronym business is just for makeing a list inside the
program for further encoding, I would go with what conforms to most
applications. Then NSL would be OK for our sign language, because
English is more widely used, and Norwegian spoken language is not
Norwegian sign language either.

Ingvild

Ingvild Kristine Roald
Reseach fellow, Department of Applied Education
University of Bergen, N-5020 BERGEN, Norway
e-mail:
Department phone: +47 55 58 48 30
Department fax: +47 55 58 48 80
Private phone: +47 55 28 34 34

  Replies Author Date
1645 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Sun  8/8/1999
1647 Re: proper names Michael Everson Sun  8/8/1999
1650 Re: proper names Michael Everson Sun  8/8/1999
1652 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Sun  8/8/1999
1654 Re: proper names Michael Everson Mon  8/9/1999
1655 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Tue  8/10/1999
1656 Re: proper names Michael Everson Tue  8/10/1999
1657 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Tue  8/10/1999
1659 Re: proper names Michael Everson Tue  8/10/1999

  Message 1642  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index