forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1652  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Aug 8, 1999  5:20 pm
Subject:  Re: proper names

>ISO 639-2 is an International Standard which specifies a three-letter code
>to identify languages. I just checked, and there is no code for Sign
>Language. I think there should be.
>
>Accordingly, I have prepared a web page outlining how Sign Language could
>be coded using ISO 639-2 and ISO 3166 (country codes). Please see
>https://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso639/deaf.html
>
>There is a procedure to follow for applying for a code but of course I'll
>need the Deaf community's blessing on the plan before doing so.
>
>Michael Everson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael -

Terrific! This is exactly what I was hoping for...the ISO needs to
recognize different signed languages in their lists, and you are the person
to help us - thank you!

I visited your web page and I think it is a wonderful start...

Of course there are many details to work out still...

Some of the SIL acronyms are not the way signers use them, and I would like
to write to the SIL to figure out a solution, which I am sure can be
done...they are wonderful and open-minded people.

And there are some countries that have more than one signed language...but
there are some countries that have more than one spoken language too...how
do you handle that at the ISO?

What is most important is that you are trying to help us with the ISO -
Thank you, Michael, I really appreciate it...

Today is Sunday - I am off to a family picnic - I am very fortunate to have
my family visiting from Florida right now :-)

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!!

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting Web Site
https://www.SignWriting.org

Post messages to the SignWriting List

SignWriting List Archives
https://www.egroups.com/group/sw-l

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
PO. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1654 Re: proper names Michael Everson Mon  8/9/1999
1655 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Tue  8/10/1999
1656 Re: proper names Michael Everson Tue  8/10/1999
1657 Re: proper names Valerie Sutton Tue  8/10/1999
1659 Re: proper names Michael Everson Tue  8/10/1999

  Message 1652  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index