forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1886  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Mon Oct 4, 1999  10:09 pm
Subject:  Re: Questions & Answers

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> I thought I would share my answers with you. If you have anything to
> add, I would love your feedback...
[...]

> Signed languages are as old as history. They are not new languages
> recently invented. Like spoken languages, they developed naturally.

I'm not sure I agree with this, Valerie. Remember that Judy and
James Shepherd-Kegl have seen a new sign language, Nicaraguan Sign
Language, come into existence. My understanding is that it wasn't
actually invented, but still came into existence as a result of Sandinista
educational policy.

Some languages are clearly much older, but I would guess that
there's a certain critical mass of Deaf people necessary for a signed
language to be born.

I like the rest of your answers, though.

--
Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
1891 Re: Questions & Answers Valerie Sutton Tue  10/5/1999

  Message 1886  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index