forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1897  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  James Womack
Date:  Wed Oct 6, 1999  11:13 am
Subject:  Re: writing & drawing

William McGruder wrote:

> An amusing thought just struck me concerning the discussion (argument, >if you
will) about writing and drawing: perhaps we're forgetting that >the alphabet
for spoken languages originated as drawn pictures.

It is my belief that writing, by it's nature is drawing.
One must formulate a sturcture or design representative or
real or imagined person, place, thing, or concept. In the case
of letters, sounds. The Chinese alphabet is actually pictureque
of
them item represented if I understand what Chinese friends have
told
me.

Perhaps writing in reality exists only when we string these
pcitures
together into a coherent pattern? Or perhaps true writing exists
only IF we use color or movement to represent words?

  Message 1897  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index