forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1918  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Oct 10, 1999  12:43 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing vs drawing

>I think that "the calligrapher's art" refers to a personalized way of
>drawing that yields a beautiful product, appreciated by all who read it,
>just as a painting, yet it is writing. I think we take no insult in
>having called SignWriting a form of art, because it allows expression of
>one's self that "really" speaks to us. So, could it just be that
>SignWriting is both drawing and writing, depending only upon the
>beholder?
>
>Jerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Jerry -
I realized when I read this message that you once told me that you are a
calligrapher? The "art of typography" is definitely an art form, and so is
calligraphy - but they are not the same as writing. They are making an art
form, based on the alphabet, but that has nothing to do with spelling and
processing meaning.

For example, when a child is taught to read the word: "h o u s e"....we are
asking the child to get the meaning from the word - but we probably don't
care if the child notices if the letter "h" is written in Helvetica or
Courier!

It would be fun to have Helvetica and Courier versions of SignWriting too -
that will be great for readers to have the "artistic variety" someday - but
they still will have to learn how to process meaning from the written signs
too...

Val :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1918  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index