forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Tue Oct 12, 1999  6:46 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing vs drawing

Hello SignWriting List!

Thanks, Fernando, for this message:

>Thus I agree that DanceWriting is actually a system for writing body
>positions and movements in space. Even though there is
>clear visual correspondence between the visual properties of the dancing
>bodies on the stage and those of the dancing
>"symbols" on paper, it is clear that DanceWriting chooses to represent
>certain properties of the dance in a certain way, and
>not in another. Thus, there is a great deal of arbitrariness and
>convention to it, which is important to characterize it as
>writing."

Yes...You have said this eloquently....DanceWriting is named "Writing" for
a reason, even though it is writing with "visually-designed" symbols.

There is one thing that is a little different, when comparing our Movement
Writing system with other writing systems for "sound-based languages", and
that is this:

Music represents a form of communication that is not the same as spoken
languages. Both are sound-based, and music does communicate, but it is not
the same kind of communication that spoken languages provide. And spoken
languages are not written with music notes.

You could argue, that in the movement-based languages, dance is a little
like music - it communicates something but it definitely is not the same
kind of language that signed languages are...and yet in our case, we can
write both dance and signed languages with the same writing system...they
are applied differently, but still dancers who do not know signs, but know
DanceWriting can read SignWriting...so we are more "unified" in our
writing, than the world of sound-based languages are...

My thought for the day!!

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1920  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index