forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1963  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Don & Theresa G
Date:  Mon Oct 18, 1999  5:21 am
Subject:  Re: Phonological recoding and deaf readers

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Martin

> evidence seems to indicate phonological recoding used as a reading
> strategy by congenitally deaf persons, even though they have no way to
> access the aural phonetic content; there seems no way to investigate

Joe and interested others:

I published an article in Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education on
literacy development and deaf readers wherein I discussed (in part) the
issue of phonological recoding as a reading strategy. As discussed in my
article, I feel that this "phonological recoding" is really something else
that is based on visual accessibility, not sound per se, since as you say,
they have no way to access the aural phonetic content. I argue that many of
the instruments used to measure "phonological recoding" in reality measure
something other than phonological input, in some cases for hearing readers
as well as deaf readers. You can find the article in:

Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Vol. 3 #3 (Summer 1998), Pages
179-204.

--Donald A. Grushkin

  Message 1963  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index