forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1969  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Steve/Dianne Parkhurst
Date:  Mon Oct 18, 1999  5:18 pm
Subject:  Spanish "R"

Joe wrote:

<<I'm reading a phonology book, and it says a "hand configuration
...which..does not appear in any signed languages" is one with the "index
finger crossed over middle finger and makes pad contact with its back."

Isn't this describing the fingerspelled [r] of Spanish Sign Language?>>

YES! This is one of the common ways to sign the letter "R" in Spain and
although initialized signs are very rare here the sign "REPETIR" (repeat)
can be signed using that HS as well. I have also seen on at least one
occasion that same HS used for the number 0 as in the number 200. But most
Spaniards would deny that that is possible--I know, I've asked :-)

Hasta luego,
Steve :-)
Steve Parkhurst

  Message 1969  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index