forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1995  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Fri Oct 22, 1999  5:48 pm
Subject:  Yes to Changes in the SW List!

Val and all -
I for one would like to see people writing in their native language, if
they so choose. I would learn a lot more about SW if we were able to write
our communications in ASL. I realize that not everyone can write
Portuguese, German, Danish, etc. but if we were to see these languages
written, it might stimulate us to learn them. I for one was disappointed
when you said no to the person who wanted to write in Portuguese. As we all
know, it is sometimes hard to espress oneself in a foreign language. I
think we should all make the effort to learn one another's languages. I say
open it up to different languages and to attachments!
- Wayne in Maine

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Changes to the SW List?
>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 07:37:45 -0700
>
>Sunday, October 17, 1999
>
>Good Morning Everyone!
>I opened my email box this Sunday morning, to two messages written in
>German! I read them and enjoyed them :-)
>
>Of course I know that those were supposed to be private messages - that
>happens sometimes - the Reply Button is just so easy to push!
>
>But this does bring up two questions that I have been meaning to ask all of
>you anyway....
>
>1. The SW List is only in English right now. Recently, someone wrote to
>ask if they could post messages in Portuguese, and I felt a little badly,
>but I said "no", assuming that it would be annoying to those who cannot
>read Portuguese. Do all of you want the SW List to be "English only"? How
>do you feel about that?
>
>2. A long time ago, Paul Cowley was kind enough to setup another SW List
>that could accept attached files. If a person has an older computer, and
>cannot receive attached files, they would not be able to join such a list.
>The present SignWriting List is on LISTSERVE. The new list, that can accept
>attached files, is not.
>
>So the question is...how many of you would like to switch to a SW List that
>can accept attached files? That would mean that we could be sending
>SignWriting messages to each other, attached to our email messages, either
>as .gif or .jpegs, or files typed with the SignWriter Computer Program too.
>Our email would become more of a "visual experience", as well as a verbal
>one.
>
>This would lead to complete email messages written in a signed language
>someday. After all, if we can type messages in German or Portuguese, why
>not a signed language?
>
>The one thing is...I don't want to manage TWO SignWriting Lists - I am sure
>you can understand why! So if we ALL vote to move to a list that can accept
>attached files, then I will talk to Paul Cowley about switching us over
>automatically...
>
>How do you all feel about these two issues?...
>
>In am happy either way :-)
>
>Val ;-)
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Valerie Sutton
>

>SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
>https://www.SignWriting.org
>
>SignBankSite...Databases Online
>https://www.SignBank.org
>
>Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
>Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1996 Re: Yes to Changes in the SW List! Susanne Bentele Fri  10/22/1999
1997 Re: Yes to Changes in the SW List! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  10/22/1999
1998 Re: Yes to Changes in the SW List! Neil Bauman Fri  10/22/1999
2001 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999
2004 Re: Changes in the SW List! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  10/22/1999
2010 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999
2045 Re: Changes in the SW List! Mark Penner Mon  10/25/1999
2051 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Mon  10/25/1999
2003 Receiving attachments..... Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999

  Message 1995  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index