forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1997  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Fri Oct 22, 1999  1:37 pm
Subject:  Re: Yes to Changes in the SW List!

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Susanne Bentele wrote:

> i don't think there's even one person subscribed who understands all
> the languages potentially coming up on the list. therefore discussions
> would be reduced to sometimes a very small set of people - and i doubt
> that they'd be as interesting then as they are now.

I can definitely see your point, Susanne; it'd be frustrating to
not be able to read a message. But I think that it's just an illusion
that we really have a common language. Some people are good at reading
and writing in other languages (including English), but others have
difficulty. By restricting posts to English we may unintentionally be
shutting out people who feel that their English isn't good enough.

It seems to me that people will naturally want to reach as many
people as they can. If they can write just as well in English as in
Portuguese (for example) they will probably choose English anyway, but we
shouldn't exclude people who feel they can only express themselves in
Portuguese.

As for attachments, I think we shouldn't exclude people who can't
receive attachments. But if there aren't any left, then we should start
sending attachments through this server. I can't read any signed language
but ASL, but I'd be interested to see some DGS, or LiBRAS, or LSE...

--
Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
1998 Re: Yes to Changes in the SW List! Neil Bauman Fri  10/22/1999
2001 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999
2004 Re: Changes in the SW List! Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  10/22/1999
2010 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999
2045 Re: Changes in the SW List! Mark Penner Mon  10/25/1999
2051 Re: Changes in the SW List! Valerie Sutton Mon  10/25/1999
2003 Receiving attachments..... Valerie Sutton Fri  10/22/1999

  Message 1997  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index