forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2020  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Oct 23, 1999  1:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Receiving attachments.....

>No, my computer doesn't crash... it simply sends me a message or returns
>the email to the person who sent it. I'm not sure which. Go ahead and
>start sending attachments, but just remember that cuz my computer (the
>one I'm using now) is old and not even Y2K update, you might get messages
>stating the email was returned and I hope everyone doesn't get upset with
>that. The compter I just bought is Y2K and much better, but I can't use
>it yet.
>
>Jean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 23, 1999

Hi Jean and Everyone!
Thanks for this response, Jean. The few times that someone sent us
attachments to the List, I never received a message from Juno saying that
you had not received it....nor was it returned to me....has anyone else had
that problem? I doubt it somehow.

Meanwhile, hotmail or aol accept attachments, and are not too hard to setup
(I hope :-), so maybe you can change over on your own :-)

Anyway, here is what I suggest as our SignWriting List's policy on
attachments...please give me your feedback, everyone:

1. They should be .GIF, .JPEG, or SignWriter files: .SGN, .DIC & .DIN

2. Attach one attachment to one email message at a time, except for the
case of .DIC and .DIN, which are "paired files".

The reason I do not want multiple attachments to one email message is that
occasionally I have had problems with that on my computer, more because of
memory, I suspect, than anything else. And I am sure that others will have
problems too, if someone sent 70 files at once, for example.

3. The files should pertain to SignWriting. If you send photos, they should
be related to SignWriting in some way.

4. Do not send overly large files....what should the cut off be on that?

5. Compression Software...hmmm...this can be a problem occasionally for me.
I am on a Mac, as you know, and I do have StuffIt and ZipIt, and they work
nine times out of ten, but the other day I could not expand a compressed
file, and when the person sent it to me un-compressed, I opened it
immediately, so that was frustrating for both parties.

So I personally would suggest " one small file at a time,
uncompressed"....to ease the problem.

6. There are different formats for sending attached files - try to use a
format that is very universal.

7. And last....I would suggest looking in the instructions that come with
your email management software, and make sure that you have setup your
software to place the attached file "inside an email message". Then the
file comes in both as an attached file separate from your email, and it
also shows up like a picture at the bottom of your message.

Lourdes sent me wonderful attached files in SignWriting when we first met,
and I got such a thrill when I found the SignWriting at the end of my email
message.

In Eudora on the Macintosh, under Settings, you can choose "Display
Graphics in Messages", and then you can see the attachment inside the email
message. I am sure most well-known software products can do that today, so
it worth looking into.

So please feel free to give me your opinions about all this...it is true
that attachments can bring up a "can of worms" because there are so many
possibilities, but on the other hand, if we get a common understanding, it
should be very beneficial too :-)

Have a great Saturday everyone!!

Val ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting

2021 ...a private vote against attachments.... Valerie Sutton Sat  10/23/1999
2039 Re: Receiving attachments..... Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  10/25/1999
2043 Re: Receiving attachments..... Valerie Sutton Mon  10/25/1999
2048 Re: Receiving attachments..... Angus B. Grieve-Smith Mon  10/25/1999
2059 Writing the sign for "send-send-send" Valerie Sutton Mon  10/25/1999
2044 Ok Guys...I need your approval.... Valerie Sutton Mon  10/25/1999
2069 Re: Ok Guys...I need your approval.... Stuart Thiessen Mon  10/25/1999
2071 Perhaps small .GIF's are best? Valerie Sutton Tue  10/26/1999
2079 Re: Perhaps small .GIF's are best? Stuart Thiessen Tue  10/26/1999

  Message 2020  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index