forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2069  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Stuart Thiessen
Date:  Mon Oct 25, 1999  11:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Ok Guys...I need your approval....

Just a quick thought. For some (and undoubtedly I'm in the minority
here), we may not have direct access to a SignWriter program to see it for
one reason or another. Could .SGN files be saved in an alternative format
as well? Or maybe when the archives are figured out, the
attachment could be converted?? By alternative, I mean GIF, JPEG, PDF,
whatever will work.

Thanks,

Stuart

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> October 25, 1999
>
> Dear SignWriting List Members:
>
> Please give me your feedback on this policy...with your approval, we will
> start tomorrow (grin)...
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MULTI-LINGUAL MESSAGES ON THE SIGNWRITING LIST
> The SignWriting List's first language is English, but you are welcome to
> write a translation of your English message in another language too. Spoken
> language translations should be placed under the English message, with a
> label stating the name of the language.
>
> The SignWriting List also accepts attached files. This makes it possible to
> send email messages written in a signed language, such as American Sign
> Language, or Danish Sign Language. Sometimes we teach each other how to
> read and write SignWriting on the email list too....so the attached files
> can also be used to teach SignWriting symbols.
>
> Attachments should pertain to SignWriting in some way. They can be an
> entire email message written in a signed language. Or they can be questions
> and answers about SignWriting symbols. Or they can be photos relating to
> SignWriting. The attachments can also include life-like illustrations of
> signs, if they are coupled with SignWriting. The email messages written in
> a signed language can be about any subject, just as long as you provide an
> English translation in your email message, and perhaps explain the reason
> for the attachment. Perhaps you would like to show a certain grammatical
> structure through the discussion? The messages, in other words, should be
> educational in nature. There is a possibility that attached files could
> become an excellent way to learn to read and write SignWriting.
>
> Each email message should not contain more than one attachment.
> Attachments should not be compressed, and should not be more than 500K. The
> formats accepted are .GIF, .JPEG, .SGN, .DIC, .DIN, .DOC, & .TXT (and
> possibly .PDF?). Be sure to include an English explanation of the
> attachment in your email message.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Ok...any corrections or suggestions?!
>
> Val ;-)
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Valerie Sutton
>

> SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
> https://www.SignWriting.org
>
> SignBankSite...Databases Online
> https://www.SignBank.org
>
> Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting
> Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

Stuart Thiessen
Des Moines, IA

  Replies Author Date
2071 Perhaps small .GIF's are best? Valerie Sutton Tue  10/26/1999
2079 Re: Perhaps small .GIF's are best? Stuart Thiessen Tue  10/26/1999
2080 Re: Perhaps small .GIF's are best? Valerie Sutton Tue  10/26/1999

  Message 2069  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index