forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2192  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Mark Penner
Date:  Tue Nov 2, 1999  1:39 am
Subject:  Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite"

This is supposed to be a Japanese Sign Language sign for "the opposite, the
reverse, conversely". I've written it horizontally, because it is being
inserted in a horizontal Japanese language text, but I want to know how it
would be written vertically as well.

The signer begins with two "B" hands touching along the index finger, palms
out parallel with the wall, then rotates at the wrist to bring the
fingertips out and down until they're upside-down, hands in the "palms in"
position, and still touching along the index finger; continuing on, the
hands keep rotating at the wrist, but now move to the final position, where
all four fingers are touching (not thumbs) "back to back" palms facing up,
fingers bent at the first (largest) knuckle.

Questions:
How would you write this
1. Horizontally
and
2. Vertically
Particularly in the vertical mode, I am curious whether the first position
should be on top on on the bottom. In Stefan's GSL "room", first position
was bottom. Is this because the action moves away from the body and
"bottom" corresponds with "near body" and top with "far from body"? In this
case there is no movement toward or away from the body. The sign is a
stationary flip of the hands. What then is the convention for ordering
parts of the sign? My intuition would be that since reading is taking place
top to bottom, first position would be on top. Is this right?

Mark

Attachment
Swrevrs.gif
Type: image/gif

Mark Penner
Tokyo, Japan

  Replies Author Date
2193 Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite" Valerie Sutton Tue  11/2/1999
2226 Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite" Mark Penner Sat  11/6/1999
2194 My messages not showing up on Hotmail.. Valerie Sutton Tue  11/2/1999
2210 Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite" Valerie Sutton Fri  11/5/1999
2211 Re: Axial stationary movement "Reverse, opposite" Valerie Sutton Fri  11/5/1999

  Message 2192  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index