forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2260  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Deborah Holden
Date:  Wed Nov 10, 1999  7:21 pm
Subject:  Nice to know

Dear SignWriting List,

What matters is what can be read properly...and writing systems
historically have to go through this simplification process to get
something that is easy to use on a daily basis....and of course it is
confusing for the first generation of writers...

When I read this yesterday and with all the other messages on the list about
spelling, I began to realized that I was not the only one who worried about
writing signs wrong. I was also confused by the different spellings of words.
knew the sign and could read it but I thought that I would be writing them
differently then how I saw them. I also thought that I could have been wrong in
my understanding of how to write SW. Now I know that I'm not alone. What's
even
more exciting is that SW is just like learning ASL. When I first learned ASL,
every time I saw someone signing slightly differently than I was taught I asked
"new sign?" Of course the signer would say no I'm just lazy or it was a
regional
difference. So once I knew that I relaxed and assumed that any sign that came
close to the one I knew would be right until it did not make sense. Then I
would
ask for clarification. So it is with SW. If the sign is readily understood and
readable, that's all that matters. I find this a real relief and now I can just
relax and enjoy the learning experience. It's so fun to see the students get so
excited about it too. Deb Holden

  Replies Author Date
2261 Re: Nice to know Shepard-Kegl Wed  11/10/1999
2263 New SW Article in Silent News!! Valerie Sutton Thu  11/11/1999
2264 Re: Nice to know Valerie Sutton Thu  11/11/1999
2262 Re: Nice to know Valerie Sutton Thu  11/11/1999
2265 Re: Nice to know Shepard-Kegl Thu  11/11/1999
2266 Re: Nice to know Valerie Sutton Thu  11/11/1999
2272 Re: Nice to know Shepard-Kegl Thu  11/11/1999

  Message 2260  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index