forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2273  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Fri Nov 12, 1999  5:17 am
Subject:  Compound signs in ASL

Hello -
Was interested in the four different ways of writing DOG in ASL.
Essentially I saw:
1. finger snapping
2. striking twice on the leg
3. striking twice on the leg followed by finger snapping, and
4. ditto with the ## symbols written to the left of the handshape

I have a couple of questions, and a comment.
Q1: How would one indicate repeated finger snapping (say, twice)?
Q2: Is the "double bar" the standard method of indicating a sign signed
below the waist? I'm guessing the lower bar means "waist".
Q3: Is there any difference in articulation when the ## is placed to the
right or to the left of the handshape? (My guess is: no.)
Now the comment: I recall from my own research into compounds in both
ASL and TSL that signs with repeated segments generally lose the repetition
when they form part of a compound. Thus, the double striking on DOG2, or
the double snapping that I use on DOG1, would both be made single in either
of the compound forms: DOG3 and DOG4. As such, then, the way I normally
sign DOG is not actually listed among the four variations that Valerie sent.
Am I "signing it wrong" or is there something to that principle?
Love,
- Wayne

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Different Sign Spellings: ASL sign "dog"
>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:45:13 -0800
>
>Spelling 4 attached
><< _dogASL4.gif >>
><< dogASL4.gif >>

  Replies Author Date
2282 Re: Compound signs in ASL Valerie Sutton Fri  11/12/1999
2284 Re: Compound signs in ASL Valerie Sutton Fri  11/12/1999
2285 Re: Compound signs in ASL Valerie Sutton Fri  11/12/1999
2286 Re: Compound signs in ASL Valerie Sutton Fri  11/12/1999
2294 Re: Compound signs in ASL James Womack Sat  11/13/1999
2295 Re: Compound signs in ASL Valerie Sutton Sat  11/13/1999

  Message 2273  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index