forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2288  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Fri Nov 12, 1999  3:43 pm
Subject:  Re: Different Sign Spellings: ASL sign "dog"

>Thank you, Val... Oh!!!! I got it. the sign I use dogASL3.gif. That is
>very
> clearly me.
>I can see the different the top is liek shoulder with thick line and the
>bottom
> is like below hip with thin line. Am I right?
>
>Lourdes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Lourdes -
Yes, the third sign is the best I think - so I agree with you!

In regards to the Shoulder Line and the Hip Line, the two lines are equal
in thickness...How thick or thin to make them?...that has become an issue
recently. The Danes, for example, do not make them thick lines, but BOTH
are thin lines...no matter what...they need to "look the same" no matter
which thickness you choose. So to show something happening under the hips,
you do have to write both the Shoulder Line and the Hip Line, and then
place the movement or contact symbols under the Hip Line for signs done
lower than the Hips.

Like Kagobai on the South Pacific Island, he used to slap his foot, to show
the sign for "foot"...so then you would write the entire leg and foot below
the Hip Line, and place a Strike symbol at the foot...Again take a look at
DanceWriting and you can get a feel for what I am talking about ...

https://www.DanceWriting.org

Val ;-)

  Message 2288  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index