forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2354  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Angus B. Grieve-Smith"
Date:  Wed Nov 17, 1999  11:01 pm
Subject:  Re: Spoken Language Translation Programs

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> So hopefully someday a programmer would like to start a
> mini-translation program in a signed language.....

I've actually done a pilot project to show that it's feasible.
It's able to take National Weather Service forecasts in English, and
translate them into ASL. It's definitely a work in progress, but it can
handle a certain amount of what's written. The output is in Newkirk '86
notation, but it's possible to do it in SignWriting or just about any
other system.

I have a paper about it which will soon be published in the
Proceedings of the Second High Desert Student Conference in Linguistics.
In the meantime, you can get it on the Web at
<https://s-leodm.unm.edu/~grvsmth/portfolio/mt-weath.pdf>

Any questions or comments are welcome.

--
Angus B. Grieve-Smith
Linguistics Department

  Replies Author Date
2360 Re: Spoken Language Translation Programs Valerie Sutton Thu  11/18/1999

  Message 2354  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index