forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2360  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu Nov 18, 1999  2:26 am
Subject:  Re: Spoken Language Translation Programs

> I've actually done a pilot project to show that it's feasible.
>It's able to take National Weather Service forecasts in English, and
>translate them into ASL. It's definitely a work in progress, but it can
>handle a certain amount of what's written. The output is in Newkirk '86
>notation, but it's possible to do it in SignWriting or just about any
>other system.
>
> I have a paper about it which will soon be published in the
>Proceedings of the Second High Desert Student Conference in Linguistics.
>In the meantime, you can get it on the Web at
><https://s-leodm.unm.edu/~grvsmth/portfolio/mt-weath.pdf>
>
> Any questions or comments are welcome.
> Angus B. Grieve-Smith

Angus - I think this is great! I went to the above web page, and downloaded
a .PDF file. The paper is entitled:

ENGLISH TO AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE MACHINE
TRANSLATION OF WEATHER REPORTS
Angus B. Grieve-Smith
University of New Mexico

Very interesting!

Would you want to try SignWriting with it?

It would be a great help to people in the long run, I suspect...

Val ;-)
  Message 2360  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index