forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2422  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Mon Dec 6, 1999  9:31 am
Subject:  Re: Writing the top of the head

Valerie -
I mean like this. The movement symbol (on the left) shows the movement
of the whole hand over the head, whereas the other symbol (on the right)
shows that the wrist rotates at the same time. I may have said "flex" when
I meant "rotate". Sorry about that.
- Wayne

>From: Valerie Sutton
>To: SignWriting List
>Subject: Re: Writing the top of the head
>Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 17:53:52 -0800
>
> >Valerie -
> > Re: LION, isn't it necessary to indicate the wrist flexion in the
>sign?
> >As it is, it looks like the hand is fixed in the "palm faces back"
> >orientation.
> > - Wayne
> >P.S. This is a great way to learn!
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Hi Wayne -
>The question was "how to write the top of the head' so in that sense I
>think it is pretty clear that the hand is relating to the top of the head
>in the sign for LION.
>
>I beleive it is the movement symbol that causes the question in your
>mind....The movement arrow starts at the thin area of the movement arrow's
>stem and moves back in a curve towards the darker part of the arrow -
>towards the signer...Usually that kind of movement is done at the level of
>the chest - it is rare to see it relating to the head like that ...later I
>can show you other signs that use that movement symbol - it means the whole
>arm and hand move in a curve, back towards the signer....not indicating any
>wrist motion.
>
>But yes, if you want to show wrist motion that is fine - why not write it
>for us to see if we can read it?
>
>Val ;-)

Attachment
Lion.GIF
Type: image/gif

2423 Re: Writing the top of the head Valerie Sutton Mon  12/6/1999

  Message 2422  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index