forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2479  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Charles Butler
Date:  Sat Dec 11, 1999  5:36 pm
Subject:  Re: Writing Legs & Feet

The first sign that I can think of that is outside of the "waist to top
of head" space is "DOG". In every version of sign that I learned it was
a tap on the upper thigh plus a click of the hand. Some variations I
have seen have been "D-O-G" fingerspelling, which looks and feels like
the hand-click. That to me says that linguists need to be much more
inclusive in their definition of sign language, and much less expansive
in what is "gesture".

Charles Butler

  Message 2479  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index