forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2558  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat Jan 8, 2000  3:13 am
Subject:  Re: American sign for "FEW"

>the arrow doesn´t mean that the whole hand moves to the right side. Is that
>correct?
>
>In DGS "few" is signed not parallel to the floor but to the wall. So same
>writing - just without the gaps? is that correct? The hand stays - just
>changing from closed fist to 5 fingers hand.
>Could you show one gif of that please ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Evening, SW List ;-)

Attached are two files. The first, less022.gif, is the one attached earlier
today. The arrows mean traveling to the side. So Yes....the arrows do mean
that the whole hand moves to the right side.

The second attachment, less023.gif, shows the same kind of finger openings,
with different directions of arm movements, and different palm facing. They
are not signs - just examples of possible writing.

When I show you these diagrams, I am not teaching ASL...I am not an expert
on ASL! I enjoy signing personally, but I am not an ASL teacher.

Nor are my examples necessarily correct in ASL...the less022.gif examples
were taken from our ASL dictionary with movement to the side while the hand
opens. That is the way our Deaf staff members wrote the sign for FEW back
in 1995, but I am sure there are many different versions for the same sign
in ASL, in different parts of the country.

So even if you have a similar sign for FEW in Germany, and even if that
sign originally came over from the USA from a Deaf person who had graduated
from Gallaudet or whatever the influence...once the sign is used by Deaf
people in another culture, it becomes uniquely theirs - with their
direction of movement and their emphasis and their palm facing...so even
foreign signs change as they are used.

That is what happened in the English spoken language - we borrowed so many
words from French and German and Scandinavian languages...but the words
themselves changed and became uniquely English.

Here are the two attachments I mentioned:

Attachment
less022.gif
Type: image/gif

less023.gif
Type: image/gif

  Message 2558  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index