forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 2610  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Wayne in Maine
Date:  Wed Jan 26, 2000  5:21 am
Subject:  Re: Is SignWriting like the IPA?

>Second.....Does the IPA write music sounds...or is it only for
>writing sounds connected to spoken languages?

The IPA only has symbols for human speech sounds, including such
oddities (in the sense that they are rarely found) as the "clicks" of Xhosa,
Zulu, and a few other languages of southern Africa. I am sure, however,
that there is no IPA symbol for an anal spirant, e.g.

- Wayne

  Replies Author Date
2611 Re: Is SignWriting like the IPA? Valerie Sutton Wed  1/26/2000

  Message 2610  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index